Last night, the Texas Longhorns and the USC Trojans met in what has to be one of the most exciting football games ever unleashed. It had heroic defensive stands, aerobatics on both sides of the ball and for both teams, and periods of indefatigable offensive dominance. It was a nice change from the bathos we usually get when hype prevails.
The ESPN online columnists are pouring their left-handed compliments upon the Horns, while the ESPN broadcasters are a bit more ingenuous with their compliments and are candid about their reversal of opinions.
Before the game, I made the following prognoses: The Horns will win. I see Reggie Bush being stopped but LenDale White tearing through our ranks like that Aggie truck did the day after Thanksgiving. Vince shines tonight and Jamaal Charles becomes the new Reggie Bush.
The Horns will win. They did. I actually thought that the Horns would win by more than a touchdown. I also thought that if they lost (which I expected would have been due to poorly timed turnovers), it would be by more than a touchdown.
I see Reggie Bush being stopped ... And he was for all but one play. He is a solid player and can be exciting to watch, but it's his performance in one game -- against Fresno State (Fresno State!) -- that made the media (and the voters) erroneously think that Bush was the best. He can be exciting, but he was not the best football player this season. He wasn't the best player on the field last night. He was the third best.
... but LenDale White tearing through our ranks like that Aggie truck did the day after Thanksgiving. And he did for all but one play (the critical 4th and 2 in the 4th quarter). Anyone who watches football and doesn't just stick to the easy storylines fabricated by others could see that LenDale was more dangerous to our defense than Bush. Humans are simple monkeys that stick to simple concepts, and the sports media is no different; they were surprised when LenDale played so well against us. He was the second best player on the field last night.
Vince shines tonight ... Boy did he. The only worry I had going into the game was that he would throw some ill-timed interceptions against a defense known for its ability to create turnovers. Turns out that he's no Chris Simms. He was the best player on the field last night; but the thing is: Vince didn't play beyond himself. This was no one-time explosion against Fresno State; this was typical Vince who plays sublimely regardless of the opponent.
... and Jamaal Charles becomes the new Reggie Bush. Okay, so this didn't happen. Jamaal had a good 15 yard run to set up a touchdown and Ramonce Taylor has a few exciting runs including one 30 yard touchdown run, but our platoon of running backs, while collectively effective, didn't collectively excite. They did as well as Reggie though.
Today, the media is slathering over themselves about how Vince is the best player in college football, that he should quit college and go straight to the NFL, and that the Texans should pick him with the first pick and let Carr become Young's sub by the end of the season. Of course, these blatherskites are basing their opinions on one game -- again -- and while they are right that Vince is the best all-around college player this past season -- an unfortunately belated realization -- they are premature on all other conclusions.
In honor of the Longhorns all-too rare accomplishment, I affixed my Longhorn Flag (which never flies during games because of circumstantial evidence that it casts bad juju over the Horns) to my cubicle wall.
I leave with a picture of a USC cheerchick showing her unbridled excitement at the Longhorn's majestic feat:

1 comment:
LOL, I love the picture.
Post a Comment