Pleasure is very seldom found where it is sought; our brightest blazes of gladness are commonly kindled by unexpected sparks. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)
An unexpected spark brought gladness to me today. I was permitted an hour's reprieve from the corporate confinement I have voluntarily sentenced myself. My wife trekked from bucolic suburbia to the concrete maelstrom that is the business district (one of the many in Houston) where I work. I was able to introduce her to the pleasant, if soulless, coworkers of mine, and them to her. Then we had lunch.
She is such a delight, especially when she is freed from her domestic demands.
When I returned to my designated cell-cum-cubicle, I felt a bit lighter than I had before. Usually, when joy comes and departs from our lives, its brief appearance makes its absence all the more apparent, and the despair all the more palpable. Luckily, I am still under the illusion of bliss, and hopefully that remains.
Here's hoping that you have someone that can spark the kindling of your life.
(And, to continue the metaphor: keep the kindling of your life from getting soggy or else the spark won’t take.)
1 comment:
What a beautiful sentiment. Your wife is a very lucky woman.
You should put that into a letter for her.
Post a Comment